McCabe Curwood’s marine insurance team is made up of lawyers specialising in both marine and seafarers’ claims.
A number of our lawyers have post-graduate qualifications and specific knowledge of maritime operations and seafaring practice, which helps them provide effective and early resolutions to many of these claims. In particular, our team has a detailed understanding of the relevant legislation governing this area, including the Marine Insurance Act, Seafarers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act and the Navigation Act.
Our marine insurance team regularly acts for marine insurers, both public and private, across a wide range of claims involving:
- leisure craft
- marine hull
- marine liability
- surface freight
- advising on policy coverage and indemnity
- recovery of repair costs to marine infrastructure against ship owners/operators
- recovery of repair costs arising out of negligent work performed on vessels.
McCabe Curwood’s seafarers’ experience is extensive. It ranges across a broad spectrum of issues and claims types including:
- advising on liability and claims issues
- advising on constitutional issues, including the applicability of the Seafarer’s Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1992 and/or relevant state workers’ compensation legislation to particular claims/circumstances
- representing several clients at Fair Work Australia in relation to issues relevant to workers’ compensation provisions contained in enterprise agreements for seafarers
- representing clients at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal as the relevant body to which appeals under the Seafarer’s Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1992 may be made.